ROBOCRAFT 2 REBUILD FAQ
WHAT IS FREEJAM DOING?
We have decided to rebuild Robocraft 2 from the ground up to be much closer to a proper sequel of the OG from the 2014-2015 era with modern graphics and technology and with a greater variety of PVE and PVP gameplay for players to choose from which we will add over time. The rebuild will include:
- A super satisfying block-by-block building system very close to OG but with beautiful new graphics, animation and sounds
- Cube health, damage and destruction systems akin to OG but with evolution to improve it over time
- Deep long-term progression of power via Tiers, Tech Tree, individual cube “crafting” and other new mechanics
- Mechanics that encourage iteration of building as you progress as well as encouraging players to build a variety of robocrafts in different formats specialised for different jobs
- A broad range of gameplay variety to choose from by introducing online PVE (solo, co-op, missions) as well as PVP (solo and team)
- Low latency control of your robocraft when driving, aiming, or firing so that latency does not interfere with your gameplay experience
- Optimised systems so that we can support more players and PVE units in a single environment on lower-spec PC’s
- No CRF
WHY ARE YOU POSTING THIS ON BOTH RC1 AND RC2 SPACES?
We believe that since we’re rebuilding Robocraft 2 in a form much closer to OG, players from both groups would find the information relevant.
HOW WILL I PLAY THIS REBUILD?
Via the Robocraft store page, there will be an option to play early versions of the Rebuild as it progresses in development. It will also be available via the Robocraft 2 website and launcher.
I SPENT MONEY IN ROBOCRAFT 2 ON THE SEASON PASS AND/OR ITEM SHOP, WHAT ABOUT ME?
You will be able to request a full refund via Steam. We will speak to Valve to let them know we desire to award a full refund to anyone who has spent money so far if they want it.
If you do not choose to get a refund we will ensure that you receive 3x the value of the money you have spent in Premium in the rebuild (when Premium exists) as well as ensure you have the full value of your Galaxy Cash as a balance restored within the rebuild (when Galaxy Cash exists).
I HAVE FOUNDERS' ITEMS IN CURRENT ROBOCRAFT 2, DO I LOSE MY FOUNDERS' ITEMS?
We aim to ensure that as many of the founders' items are retained and can still exist within the rebuild and those that acquired them will keep them. They will retain their pre-early-access exclusivity.
If you were given a contributor frame during Robocraft 2, we aim to have these in some form for the Rebuild. There will be other opportunities in the future for others to earn a contributor frame.
WHAT ABOUT TANK TRACKS?
They will still be modular as we have proposed in the current Robocraft 2 development roadmap. We will re-release Wheel and Lasers first, then add progression (Tech Tree etc.) and then, since we have completed the majority of the development of Tank Tracks, we will be able to ensure they are made to work within the new block-by-block building system and will then release them.
WHAT ABOUT ANTI-GRAV, THRUSTERS, HOVERS, PLASMA, RAIL?
Many of these will be rebuilt to work in a way that is closer to OG. Anti-grav will be removed, instead for flight we will aim to introduce Wings, Rotors etc.
WHY DOESN'T FREEJAM WORK WITH OLD ROBOCRAFT 1 CODE?
It is very old code which had gotten quite messy with many years of development history built using fairly old paradigms for the way you should construct large software projects. It also relied on client side physics which was easily hacked and was very difficult to provide good open world persistent PVE gameplay in. It used an old physics engine, a very old version of Unity, and worked with a very old 3rd party backend API that wasn't very good. We do still have the code, it wasn't burnt in a fire (that was the backend data for RC1 which was backed up and restored to new servers after the fire), but it is faster for us to get to a better game which can support persistent servers with extremely hard to hack PVE and PVP gameplay with the new technology than it would be from the old.